“Brains are changing everyday, so it’s not a question of it, it’s a question of how your brain is going to change.” – Andrew Hill
(click to tweet)
Most people think that if they or someone else is born with a disorder like ADHD, there is nothing that can be done about it. That our brains are unable to be improved from what we were given at birth. But it’s not the case! In fact, there are a lot of things that will play into how well your brain functions, thereby determining how smart and productive you are, and Andrew Hill is talking about them on today’s episode!
One of the major aspects of handling different mental disorders, as well as many psychological problems that many overlook, is getting good and regular sleep. There are many ways to optimize your sleep, and Dr. Andrew Hill and I go over many of them, including getting at least 2-3 minutes of direct sunlight within the first hour of sunrise, blocking out blue light before bed, and many others.
So whether you struggle with keeping your attention focused on one thing, or whether you’re actually quite good at it, there is always room for improvement, and more attention, focus, and productivity is always a good thing! Learn how to optimize your brain on this episode of the James Swanwick Show!
“Sleep affects almost every aspect of disorders, from ADHD to depression.” – Andrew Hill
(click to tweet)
- Brains are changing everyday, so it’s not a question of it, it’s a question of how your brain is going to change
- Because of our evolutionary background, we gravitate toward things of high reward, which can get us in trouble with sugar and alcohol, etc
- Everyone is on a spectrum of difficulty in paying full attention for a long time. The disorder comes when resources are not enough to cope with what’s required of the current situation
- When you are easily pulled in different directions by incoming stimuli, you have an overabundance of the brainwave frequency theta, which is not as good for focus and concentration
- You can drop theta through biofeedback or through meditation, just 15 minutes a day
- The practice of meditation builds brain tissue and helps with the aging process that normal brains go through by building additional brain tissue
- Your diet has a huge affect on your brain and your brain’s ability to function well
- ADHD and sleep issues usually go together. They’re connected
- One of the most powerful things you can do to regulate your sleep is to get sunlight first thing in the morning
- Sleep affects almost every aspect of disorders, from ADHD to depression
- No matter what, get 2-3 minutes of sunlight of the first hour of sunlight